Saturday, December 5, 2020

My Oldest Uncle Guan, Ju -Jin Passed Away at age 93

My oldest uncle Guan, Ju Jin (官举晶, #10 in boys) was born on January 16th, 1927, passed away on November 19th at 3:58 PM 2020, two months short from his 94th birthday. The last time I was able to talk to him was in August when his youngest son from Shenzhen was visiting. His son give him his cell phone to see me through WeChat. He woke up from his nap on the couch, and he repeatedly called my name "Ying, Ying, is that you?". He was really clear compared to my mom. I took a sreen shot of him.

His son told me that he was planning to take his parents to Chengdu to visit my mom and aunt in September. I was not sure it was a good idia since we were still under the Pandemic, his dad was 93 and his mom was 91, 3.5 hours drive to my city. He insisted to let them gather before the winter, since there was no COVID-19 in SW part of China except for a few imported ones back in February. All life had been back to normal for more than 6 months. The reunion was very emotional, my aunt was the youngest of 4, she cried the most. My uncle did not recognize my mom in the restaurant, but he was able to recognize my mom after they came back home. He started to cry and asked why my mom lost so much weight. Her face used to be very full, my 89 years old mom was scared from that many strangers around. She did not recognize her older brother. They drove home after dinner the same day.

I talk to my mom every week via WeChat, she holds my brother's cell phone and stares at me most of the time. She does not talk, but refuses to let the phone go until she closes her eyes napping. If my brother takes the phone away from her, she wakes up and looks at me again. I just kept talking to her, usually for an hour without her saying anything. Since she just saw her older brother and his wife, and my mom's and uncles' younger sister, I started to ask her about them. I mentioned her brother's wife, the best cook in the family. I asked my mom if she could go shopping so her brother's wife could cook. She did not say anthing, so I said maybe it is best to let her shop since she was the one who was going to cook, just tell her what dishes she likes to eat. Spicy chicken or rabbit were my mom's favorite dishes. All of a sudden, my mom started to talk, she asked my brother to give my aunt money so she could go shopping. She and my brother started a conversation. That was amazing, since she had not talked in full sentences for a long time. She remembered her oldest brother, who gave up his college education to work to support the whole family. He gave every penny he earned to my grandmother, to take care of her 5 kids and disabled bedridden husband. He refused to get married so he could support all of his 3 sisters and his brother in college.

His son said his dad could still eat more than he could at age of 93. Every time he came home, he loved to take his parents out to enjoy their favorite food. He did not show any sickness at all. He took a shower the night before, his wife found him unresponsive in the morning. My uncle was survived by his wife, a daughter and two sons, 3 granddaughers and 1 grandson. His oldest son, a professor at the University of Liverpool, 2 granddaughters and great granddaughter would not be able to go back since UK was still in full lockdown. I did not go to say goodbye to my father in March, now I lost my loving uncle who was my acting father for my first 9 years. I do not remember him ever raising his voice to his children or me. He used to walk an hour each way to work, he thought it was a very good way to excercise. I used to be very picky about food; he used to tell me eat the same amount of food no matter I liked it or not. It is good for my health. Most people eat more for something they like, less or none if not liked.

None of his children live nearby, he and his wife have a woman in her 60s to help them out. They are just so content to live their simple life. I was there 2 years ago, I was sorry that I did not make it there last year since my father was so sick in the hospital. I was planning to visit them this year. I guess it is good that he did not suffer much or at least not suffer long before his death. He had such a good life and forever remains an example for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment